Our next speaking topic is Hometown. If you are new here and want to practice speaking on this topic, please fill out the form: https://forms.gle/BpaA9KyyeRmkJfmU6
You can refer to this introduction to understand the program “Pair speaking practice with eJOY”.
1- Discussion questions for Topic Hometown
Where is your hometown?
How often do you visit your hometown?
What kind of place is it?
What’s the most interesting part of your town/village?
What kind of jobs do the people in your town/village do?
Would you say it’s a good place to live? (Why?)
Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
Is there good public transportation in your hometown?
Do you think your hometown is a good place to bring up children?
These are suggested questions. You may not want to limit your conversation to those questions. Feel free to add your own and raise any question to your partner during the online meetup. Besides, you may want to have an ice-breaking session at the beginning. Also, don’t forget to wrap up at the end of the discussion.
2- Suggested videos – Topic Hometown
You need to train your ears to get familiar with how native speakers talk about Family, and also to broaden your vocabulary.
eJOY Epic – Laptop
If you own a PRO eJOY account, you can learn with the following video to practice listening comprehension, grammar, and vocabulary.
Learn by The buzzing city of Brussels.
Read more: How to learn on Epic.
eJOY App/ Go web – Mobile & Laptop
Below are English videos that you can practice with 4 skills (listen-speak-read-write) on eJOY App and eJOY Go web.
- Talking About Your Hometown – Spoken English Lesson
- Talking about your hometown
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 – Topic: Hometown | Has your hometown changed much since you were a child?
- Manhattan Beach – My hometown
3- Prepare for the talk
This is the to-do list for you:
- Watch the suggested videos to get some ideas and vocabularies. Add new vocabularies from section 5 as well, if you need them. Use eJOY extension (laptop) or eJOY Reader app (mobile) to save them.
- Write your own answers to the questions in section 1 of this article. Try to answer them out loud by yourself as well.
- Set up your device, the platform you choose to make a call to your partner. Make sure your internet works well and you have a quiet place.
Please be noticed that:
- Audio call is used to make sure the connection stable
- Have free talk and maintain your conversation as long as possible with no limit.
- Turn on recording (if possible) so that you will have your audio file to review after the talk
4- Check in to find your speaking partner for topic Hometown
When you have done the homework, try your best to write down the answers to the discussion questions and do rehearsal on your own. And then, fill out the check-in form to help us find your perfect speaking partner who has the same English level, same level of confidence, and same time slot with you.
- there is a big…
- it has… then any place I’ve visited
- more than … % of the town …
- I don’t have much fondness for my town
- I was born, raised and still live in a city called ….
- …the biggest city of in northwestern ….
- among other things … is known for being…
- I’m from… My home city is … situated in the north of the country …
- is famous for many things
- Here are a few of them…
- its geography gave birth to [city name]’s …
- as well as being famous for… [city name] is famous for….
- [city name] boasts 2 football teams
- as well as …. [city name] is famous for [person’s name] – Olympic gold medalist
- [city name] has produced some world famous musicians and bands
- it is only available in [city name]