English is not only believed to be one of the hardest languages in the world, but also a fascinating language to learn. There are a lot of interesting facts about English that may amaze you. Read more to find out!
1. If You Turn the Word “SWIM” upside down, it still says SWIM!
2. ‘Nice’ originally meant ‘ignorant’ or ‘simple’.
3. Earth is the only planet in our solar system that’s not named after a god.
4. “I” is the oldest word in the English language.
5. The longest word in English has 45 letters: ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’! It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust.
6. ‘Pronunciation’ is the word which is most mispronounced in the English language!
7. The oldest words in English are thousands of years old. They include personal pronouns and numbers: I, We, Two, and Three.
8. The letters “ough” can be pronounced 9 different ways.
Find them all in this sentence: “A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.”
9. Do you know the word ‘alphabet’ comes from the first two letters Greek alphabet – alpha and beta?
10. Do you know a fun fact about the word ‘listen’? It contains the same letters as the word ‘silent’!
Which facts about the English language do you find the most interesting? Share with us your thoughts by commenting below.